Spring is in the air here in Pacheco and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Clean Air HVAC team has some tips that will assist in keeping your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home seem as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to coincide with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your awesome vacation on social media, but try to hold off until after you are back to post information about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as excited about the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Clean Air HVAC in Pacheco a call at 925-233-6238.