Anyone who’s ever had to wait for an order to show up understands it can be an aggravating experience. The wait is even more annoying when it’s a vital piece of HVAC equipment like a new furnace or air conditioner. With backlogs and supply shortages, many people are waiting weeks for their new HVAC system to show up. If you’re considering upgrading your current system with a service like furnace installation in Pacheco, it may be a good idea to order now.
Current shortages are a result of a few problems throughout the supply chain. We’ll explain how these issues have affected the HVAC industry as well as what you can do to reduce the impact.
Why Is There an HVAC Product Shortage?
Popular HVAC systems like furnaces and air conditioners are complex pieces of technology. Normally this is a great thing for homeowners, as this means more effective heating and cooling. But recent turmoil in the supply chain impacts how quickly these systems can be assembled and shipped. There are several reasons why your new air conditioner or furnace is delayed, including:
- COVID-19 Precautions: As workers continue to navigate COVID-19, taking sick days and additional safety precautions have somewhat contributed to the backlog. A few extra days every now and then adds up over time.
- Supply Chain Issues: Global supply chains are designed for peak efficiency and can take a while to correct themselves when consumer demands or the availability of materials is affected. While companies find alternatives to help catch up, existing backlogs have made steady, if slow progress.
- Rise in Costs of Raw Materials: Metals including steel and copper are invaluable for efficient HVAC equipment. Valuable materials also include plastics and even finished electronics like microchips and semiconductors. These two components are especially scarce.
- Worker Shortage: As industries wind back up, they’re also experiencing a shortage of workers compared to the spike in demand. Professional HVAC technicians also require time to train to make sure they provide reliable, efficient services.
As you can imagine, all these issues have slowed the gears of the HVAC industry. As products take longer to arrive, people may have to wait longer for services like air conditioning installation. Thankfully, you still have options for minimizing delays.
4 Ways to Lower the Impact of HVAC Product Shortages
Are you actively looking for new HVAC equipment? Or do you just want to avoid being left without heat or air conditioning? Whatever your reasons are, there are ways to minimize how the HVAC product shortage impacts you.
- Stay on top of routine maintenance: Services like routine air conditioning maintenance are one of the best investments you can make for your HVAC system. Components stay in better shape, which means more efficient performance and a smaller risk of problems.
- Watch for signs of equipment failure: A surprise shutdown can leave you stuck waiting for a replacement. Listen for unusual sounds and monitor your energy bill for evidence the HVAC system is in trouble.
- Order in advance: If you were waiting to purchase a new furnace or air conditioner, it might be a good idea to go ahead and make the order. Even with current supply chain issues, you’ll be more likely to receive your new equipment by the time you actually need it.
- Research alternative equipment: If a current make or model is struggling with a shortage, considering alternatives can open up other options. Thanks to modern technology, there are more choices for high-efficiency HVAC systems than ever.
Request a Free Quote for New HVAC Systems
The HVAC professionals at Clean Air HVAC want to minimize your wait times for a new furnace or air conditioner. If you’re considering new or replacement installation, it’s a good idea to get a head start. Request your free estimate today by giving us a call at 925-233-6238.